Understanding and following the steps and precautions to take when filling portable cylinders can avoid accidents:
- Always inspect the filling cylinder station equipment prior to filling.
- Know your plants fire prevention and emergency evacuation plans.
- Make sure that a plant operator is always in attendance during the entire filling operation.
- Know where and how to control emergency shut down and pump controls.
- Know the location of the nearest fire extinguishers and make sure they are in proper working condition.
- Before operating a filling station, be sure there are no ignition sources or combustible materials within 25 feet of the point(s) of transfer.
- Be sure that valves are properly protected with a cap or protective collar.
- Do not allow any unauthorized people on the transfer area.
- Always use proper cylinder handling techniques.
- Keep all plastics or other materials that can produce static electricity away from the transfer area, this is includes plastics, nylon clothing, etc.
Click here to download the ready-to-print learning activity — from the CETP textbook Propane Delivery Operations & Cylinder Delivery — about safely filling portable cylinders by weight.
For more information about CETP and CETP E-Learning, get in touch with the Propane Education & Research Council's CETP Program Manager, Courtney Gendron, email@example.com.